Sunday, January 30, 2011

Our first sunday..

Well, we've determined that basically everything is closed on Sunday, so I'm not sure what to do with myself today. It's a beautiful day outside but if you walk around, all the restaurants and shops are closed. Luckily, I went to the Mercadona yesterday and stocked up on a couple groceries. Mercadona is one of the local markets here and they are so different from Harris Teeters. First of all, you enter the market and there are these little baskets just like we have but they have wheels and a longer handle so you can drag them around like suitcases when you shop! Theyre so cute! Anyways, as I was shopping around, I found very interesting items on the shelves. You can buy the milk either refrigerated or not. It looked kinda weird unrefrigerated and I wasn't sure which kind to buy so I held off on the milk for a while but apparently the unrefrigerated stays good longer. Also, they have liquor in the store! I wish that had this in the States because I get so nervous buying it at the liquor store even though I'm already 21!

Big news! I ate my first official tapas last night! We went to this little restaurant in the historic district and bought a bunch of different tapas to share. I ordered chipirones which is calamari and we had many other tasty appetizers as well. Later that night, we went out to a couple bars, Parabarap and this other one that I forget the name of but they were hoppin. There were so many people packed into the tiny bars that I was not enjoying myself. It's fun to meet people though because they speak so fast and then immediately realize that you are American once you open your mouth.

Hopefully, tomorrow we will get to go visit the castle assuming that it's open and doesn't cost much to go inside. I imagine it is a hot spot for tourists so we'll see. But I think I'm going to go lay down and recover from the late night last night. I wish I could catch up on my tv shows but a lot of them wont work here because I'm not in the States. It's very sad, they have international agreements and can't show them online :( Anyways, adios for now!

1 comment:

  1. i love reading your posts!! Great job keeping us up to date on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete