Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Day and other random updates

Hey guys, sorry I haven't blogged in a while. Just been really busy with school and being sick!! (AGAIN).

So last week was kinda rough. Since a lot of classes are split up into two parts and two teachers, we basically had like a midterm week here. I had all projects/quizzes/powerpoints/homework all due at once! Very stressful. But I made it through! All I have left this week is a presentation in my Entrepreneurship class tomorrow (St. Patrick's Day!) Speaking of which, I'm not really sure if they even celebrate St. Patty's Day here. I know we have lots of celebrations in the States but I think that's just our excuse to drink and the Spanish seem to be drinking all the time (plus I doubt a lot of them have Irish heritages).

However, Caitlin, Kira and whoever else wants to go may go over to Mulligan's and have a green beer or two just to be festive! I wish I had brought the St. Patty's Day stickers I stole from Katie two years ago so I could prove I'm truly Irish haha. Oh well.. I guess people will know from my name! It's all about the drinking anyways. I would've loved to actually go to Ireland for the holiday but for some reason flights to Dublin are always around 200 and it's too much. Maybe when I'm married and on my honeymoon that will happen. Anyways, this weekend a bunch of us are going to Valencia for a day/night trip! There's a huge celebration going on Saturday called Las Fallas. It's a huge celebration/carnival down in Valencia that takes place every year and basically, they take scraps which after reading about this, I found out are usually made of styrofoam and not paper machet, and they burn it all. There are also fireworks and music and from what I've heard, they close down all the streets so if you don't get into Valencia before the festival begins, you're screwed :) I'm really excited. This is what I most love about Spain is all the festivals and crazy traditions they have here. You can read more about Las Fallas if you want: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallas_de_Valencia

Anyway, things have been going great here besides my diseases that keep coming back. I swear I must have mono or something because I haven't been 100% healthy since I got here. I don't know if its what I'm eating, the fact that my room is a closet and is probably covered in mold, we are packed onto the bus to campus everyday like sardines, or that I've been going out too much (but I refuse to believe the last one). I may go see the doctor today but I'm really nervous about asking them because I don't wanna tell them the wrong thing and end up with x-rays and a colonoscopy..So we'll see. Usually these things just go away on their own.

Good news for you guys is: I'm 94 days away from coming back home. I'm not as excited yet because I want to see more things/places while I'm here and get better at my Spanish. I have also made a lot of really good friends here that I know for a fact I'm going to be sad to leave behind. But who wants to think about that right now when I have so much ahead of me!! I'll update you guys after this weekend and let know how the festival goes! Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment